So. Thanksgiving has come and gone. The turkey has been cooked, eaten, cleaned up and recycled into tonights dinner (turkey soaked in yummy gravy and heated in the crockpot served as an open-faced sandwich with cranberry, dressing, and other good stuff on top with a delicious green salad with shaved parmesan, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, grape tomatoes, salt and pepper and dressing) and I am left with the realization that Christmas will be here in one month. I am actually already sad that Christmas is on its way to being over and my decorations aren't even hung yet...
anyone else with me? It's kind of like a really good book. You jump in, read it, get hooked, race through the pages only to be disappointed when you reach the last chapter and realize it will all be over.
That is how I feel about Christmas. I love it so much that I can barely enjoy it because I know it eventually comes to an end.... something to work on this year for sure.
I always seem to look at any given holiday and find all of the things that went wrong with it instead of relishing in the season's joys. This year was no different. Jason wound up being sick the day before Thanksgiving and has spent his much needed 3 days off really ill. I, being the good wife that I am - doing the love dare and all -
lavished him with tenderness and mercy because of his illness Unfortunately - NOT. I was bitter and angry because my few days of holiday fun were ruined. But as I sit here tonight with him snoring next to me and choking on his phlegm I realize how lucky I am. Yes, he is sick BUT he will get better. He is not suffering from some terminal illness or disability. He has a cold. He has another day. He has an opportunity to feel better; to look forward to, or with disdain, getting up and going to work on Monday. He is sick, but he knows he will get better.
I am thankful, most of all, for this.
A few years ago he was given a diagnosis that was a death sentence. And, while God chose to grant him a reprieve from certain death, I have walked every day of my life not thanking him for that. So today, in the spirit of the season, I offer my most heart-felt thanksgiving to the One who saved my husband, and me as well... <3 Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment